Pages

Ads 468x60px

Friday, December 7, 2012

Treat of The Week-Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Okay, I’m trying to make a different treat or dessert every week. Sort of like a Julie and Julia thing but with different recipes from different sources...and I’m not trying to prove anything. I’m loving it, my family and co-workers that get to sample a new treat every week are loving it…but my hips and thighs are suffering! Oh well, que sera sera.

I adapted this recipe from Cookie Swap by Lauren Chattman: 

Ingredients
4 oz unsweetened chocolate finely chopped
8 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter cut into pieces
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups of sugar
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups chopped peppermint bark 

Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
2.       Put water to a depth of 1 inch in the bottom of a double boiler or medium saucepan set over low heat and bring to a bare simmer. Combine the unsweetened chocolate, semisweet chocolate, and the butter in the top of the double boiler or in a stainless steel bowl set on top of the simmering water, making sure that the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Heat whisking occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
3.       Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
4.       Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high until they are thick and pale (about 5 minutes). Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla and beat on low until smooth. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in the peppermint bark. Place the bowl, uncovered, in the refrigerator to let the dough firm up, for 15 minutes (or up to 6 hours).
5.       Drop the dough by the heaping tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches between each cookie.
6.       Bake the cookies until the tops are cracked and shiny, 10-12 minutes. Carefully slide the parchment paper with the cookies to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely.

O.k. so that was the “right” way to do it. Lemme tell you how it went down in my kitchen…
First of all ,they grocery store didn’t have any solid unsweetened chocolate so I ended up having to buy powdered chocolate instead. No problem...I thought; I’ll just weigh it out on the scale so that I have 4 oz. like the recipe calls for. BUT, I didn’t read the instructions on the container. There were special instructions for using the chocolate powder as baking chocolate. Duh!
So when I heated everything together I ended up with a hard, dry, hot mess! It didn’t look right so eventually I figured out what I did wrong and added the oil to the mixture. Voila! Now it looked like melty, gooey, yummy chocolate that dripped off the spoon. Ummm, it took everything in me not to start dipping strawberries in it and just forgo the cookies all together for chocolate fondue!
Next challenge...this double broiler thing is a b*tch! Especially since I didn’t have a double broiler and I opted to go with the stainless steel bowl in some water method. I ended up just plopping the bowl into a pot of boiling water because it was impossible to find a bowl and a pot the correct size so that the bowl could magically hover above the boiling water without touching it! Note to self: buy a double broiler thingamajigy.

The rest of the recipe went pretty smoothly. I should mention that I ghetto-rigged (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ghetto%20rigged) the peppermint bark pieces by putting a bunch of Peppermint Hershey’s Kisses in my Ninja blender and pulsing it until I had chopped pieces. Don’t laugh! Again, I’ll blame this one on the grocery store for not having enough peppermint bark. After searching high and low, the only kind I could find were Ghirardelli Squares for like $6 a pack—uh yeah right! So Peppermint Hershey’s Kisses in the blender is what I ended up with.
They came out awesome; I'm obviously not a food photographer because the pics don’t do them justice!
Very chocolaty...the cookie recipe itself is a keeper and sans the peppermint would yield cookies to satisfy any chocolate addict. And I’ve already gotten requests to make them again substituting the peppermint with white chocolate chips or chocolate chunks next time. Wooo Whooo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text